Friday, September 10, 2010

APOD 1.2

                                           M78 "The Reflection Nebula"

M78 is a Reflection Nebula in the constellation Orion. Its classified as a Reflection Nebula due to two blue tenth magnitude stars (HD 38563A & HD 38563B).

The nebula is part of a cluster called the Orion Molecular Cloud, which is nearly 1,600 Ly from Earth and 5 Ly across. Its easily viewable by small telescopes as a hazy patch with two bright stars. The Orion Molecular Cloud also includes the Horsehead Nebula and the Great Nebula.

Through my observations I saw Orion at 6:30 AM this morning almost directly over me, unfortunately I was not able to see this nebula through my binoculars. Also, to the West and near the Horizon was Jupiter shining brightly. 

Site: Picture from APOD

No comments:

Post a Comment